Muddy Musings

It was: A diversion from the everyday life of home educating, keeping house and chasing children - my garden keeps me sane. At least, that's the theory... In here you'll find fundamentalist diatribes on the evils of F1 seed and philosophical ramblings about the rest of life. It's now: Kids, chickens, dog, house building and the odd rambling about airplanes.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Planting update

Did a bit of seed sowing last weekend, and forgot to blog it. On Saturday 12th, I spent a happy couple of hours in my potting shed and sowed a few flats of leafy veg - a tray of 8 different kinds of salad stuff( iceberg, green salad bowl lettuce, red romaine lettuce, michihhli chinese cabbage, merveille de quatre saisons lettuce, mizuna greens, oak leaf lettuce and a mesclun leaf mix), as well as a block of red Russian kale, a block of Black Italian Nero di Toscana kale, a box of spinach, and a split tub of half savoy king cabbage, and half mini savoy cabbage.

On the Sunday, it was a fruit day, so I headed up to the lottie and sowed early peas and crimson flowered broad beans in bed 5. Back home, I disappeared into the potting shed again, and sowed the following: 15 pots of various types of squash - 6 pots of mystery summer squash, 5 pots of mystery winter squash, and a pot each of turks cap, spaghetti squash, Ukranian heirloom and butternut squash (all winter varieties). I put 2 seeds into each of 11 recycled apple juice carton pots of crimson flowered broad beans, 15 individual peat pots of Golden Bantam sweetcorn, a pot with a couple of luffa (loofa) gourd seeds, a pot of Richmond Green cucumbers, and stuffed 9 pea seeds into the top right hand square of my SqFt bed. :)

And I've got some more packets of seed to mail out to a number of people. I will get the in the post as soon as I can! Talk about sidetracked headless chicken. :)

Oh, and some point last week, I sowed bed one in the lottie with parsnips. Can't remember when - will look it up in the book that has vanished. This afternoon, I'm going to sow some early calabrese, lots of flowers and some mini cauliflowers. That's after we've been to the continental market in the town centre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home