Muddy Musings

It was: A diversion from the everyday life of home educating, keeping house and chasing children - my garden keeps me sane. At least, that's the theory... In here you'll find fundamentalist diatribes on the evils of F1 seed and philosophical ramblings about the rest of life. It's now: Kids, chickens, dog, house building and the odd rambling about airplanes.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Seed selections

I'm having great fun putting these seed packets together for the home-ed lot. I've finally decided on the following:

Carrots
Green/French beans
Peas
Lettuce
Tomato
Pumpkin/winter squash
Courgette/summer squash
Sunflowers
Calendula
plus... a mystery packet.
lol.

There will be growing instructions for the mystery seeds, but no clues as to what it is. Or is that just plain ol' mean? heh heh Personally I think it's exciting, but then that's just me. There are between 4 and 20+ seeds of each kind, depending on the size of the seed. I mean, who really needs more than a couple of courgette plants anyway? You'd have courgettes coming out of your ears... :)

All I need to do now is rustle up some growing instructions. And you have no idea how hard it is to put into words something that I just do without thinking.

I mean, yes, I use books and the like, but all I do is go, 'hmm, early April, let's see, it's time to sow some carrots'. And I sow carrots. If you actually asked me for spacings, depths, rows, soil type, etc, I'd just look at you blankly. So, it's back to the books and an hour's quiet concentration to try and figure out how to explain to kids how to sow carrots.

Although I bet if I just gave them some seeds, they'd plant them with no problems. :)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home