Muddy Musings

It was: A diversion from the everyday life of home educating, keeping house and chasing children - my garden keeps me sane. At least, that's the theory... In here you'll find fundamentalist diatribes on the evils of F1 seed and philosophical ramblings about the rest of life. It's now: Kids, chickens, dog, house building and the odd rambling about airplanes.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

There be seeds in that thar soil...

Oh yay, planting in earnest has started. :) I'm such a happy bunny.

A few days ago I put in a couple of rows of broad beans and some very early (and maybe over-optimistic) peas.

And today, I've already sown some onions in modules, just some seed I saved from a supermarket onion. I threw a half onion on the compost heap last spring, and it sprouted 4 flower spikes.

So I moved it and let it do it's own thing, and saved about 200 seed from it last autumn. I've got a couple of other kinds of onion to sow, both Italian varieties. I've also ordered some red onion seed and pickling seed from Dobies, and have 75 sets of Stuttgart Giant to plant out too.

Will leave those till next root planting day... oh yes, did I say I was going to follow the Planting by the Moon book again? I got such fabulous results last year, it's worth the effort of planning ahead for planting. I'll also do a few 'test' sowings of stuff, just for the scientific aspect. lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home