Muddy Musings

It was: A diversion from the everyday life of home educating, keeping house and chasing children - my garden keeps me sane. At least, that's the theory... In here you'll find fundamentalist diatribes on the evils of F1 seed and philosophical ramblings about the rest of life. It's now: Kids, chickens, dog, house building and the odd rambling about airplanes.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

It all starts tomorrow!

I've a couple of bits of good news (which makes pleasant blogging after last night's attack of the ickies)

First - I've found my Gardening by the Moon book! Yay, yippee, yahoo and all that jazz. :)

Second - tomorrow is a fruit day. Which means I'm going to spend the day in my greenhouse sowing lots and lots of seeds. Because it's March. And virtually every kind of seed known to woman (with the exception of spring cabbage and squash) can be planted in March. So, tomorrow I'm going to plant in peat pots:

Tomatoes - Snow White, Red Fig, Lescana, Gardener's Delight, Balconi Red, Golden Roma
Aubergine - Caspar
Cucumber - Armenian Yard Long
Peppers - Corno di Toro, Tabasco, Donetsk Ukranian, Cubanelle, Californian wonder
Peas - Laxton's progress, Twinkle, Green Arrow, Alaska
Melons - Gold Mine cantaloupe, Crimson Sweet watermelon, Kolchoznitsa Ukranian melon
And some broad beans in 'reclaimed pots' ie saved cardboard apple juice cartons.

Third - My potatoes finally arrived from T&M a few days ago, so they're in the outhouse on top of the tumble drier, chitting nicely. I don't think the first earlies will be ready for planting on 7th as per my original plan, but I'm going to aim for 16th. James brought me home 5 huge plastic bags (some of his work stuff arrived in them), so I'll be able to start warming some of the home-garden beds.

Fourth - we went to Lidl yesterday and I bought a three tier mini-greenhouse thing. So I can put all my tomato seedlings in there when they've germinated - makes life much easier than last year when I was forever ferrying them in and out of the greenhouse on sunny days. This year, I can just unzip the cover and let them get some fresh air.

And fifth and finally, but by no means last - I've got another allotment plot! :) Well, ok, so it's a half plot but I know the little old chap who had it before me and he tilled it for years and years and years. The soil is the most beautiful soil I've ever known. It's gorgeous. And now, it's all mine, MINE, MINE, MINE. ha ha ha ha ha ha

Uh, sorry.

But at least I know now so I can start weeding it a little. And I'm sure I saw some leeks on there... wonder if they're on my half or the other half? And I think I've got the side with the shed on it. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home